Neil - Changes and Growth

Growing and Discerning...After the Heart of God

Monday, January 16, 2006

What makes a 'champion?'


Alright...I was driving to work this morning, doing what I always do and started thinking...which is always trouble. Nobody can know what I do in my car on the way to work every morning unless I tell them. I could do whatever I want, and nobody would ever know. Of course I'm sure you can guess what I was doing...Yea...I was singing at the top of my lungs, looking in the rear view mirror at myself, my eyebrows dancing around, my right arm pointing out the windshield to the thousands of people I was singing to. Yea...I'm THAT guy. A nice little escape. Don't act like you haven't done it before....I just may do it a little more often than most people...I love it. And I also have realized that I may be the worst singer in the history of the world.

So...when we were kids, we always were told "God is always watching," right? I started thinking about soccer, and training, and what it took to get ready for a season. One team I was on had the motto:

"Champions are made when nobody is watching."

What did this mean? It wasn't what you did while you were with the team practicing that made you a better player - it was how hard you were pushing yourself on the last half mile of that 5 mile run...it was how many push-ups you did at home every night before you went to bed. THAT is what drives an athlete...what he does when he is alone. It's not hard to push yourself when a coach is screaming up your tail(and coaches LOVED to scream at me) - but it is harder when you are saying to yourself "I could just stop now...nobody would know." And only you and God know if you stop. But you don't get any better by stopping. You prepare for when you are around others. You are preparing for the game, you are preparing for the season. And when I was younger...preparing for that dream of holding the World Cup(I may never win it...but...I'll do the next best thing, and go watch it this summer!)

Our faith is the same way: "champions are made when nobody is watching." It's not hard to go to church, to pray at church, to believe in God at Church. But when you are at home, and by yourself...that's where our faith is tested. How do we handle those situations? And when we give - we should almost always give when nobody is watching - give anonymously, give generously. This puts us in God's favor. You are preparing for the game. You are preparing for the tests. You are preparing for temptation, and for trials. Read this passage - Matthew 6:1-4:

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. "

"Champions are made when nobody is watching"

You may not when the World Cup, Like I did when I was 8, but you can still win the ultimate prize...

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.01
louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, louboutin, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, ugg boots, michael kors, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany jewelry, burberry, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton

10:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp, nike air max, north face, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hogan, true religion outlet, michael kors, replica handbags, nike air max, nike blazer, louboutin pas cher, nike free run uk, converse pas cher, new balance pas cher, nike huarache, north face, nike trainers, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, lacoste pas cher, lululemon, timberland, vanessa bruno, air max, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, hollister, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, coach purses, burberry, oakley pas cher, michael kors, hermes, nike air max, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, nike free, mulberry, air force, tn pas cher, nike roshe run, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren uk, sac longchamp, nike roshe, hollister pas cher, sac guess, longchamp pas cher

10:58 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

canada goose
nmd
jordan shoes
hermes handbags
off white
calvin klein outlet
fila sneakers
westbrook shoes
yeezy
canada goose jacket

4:08 AM  
Blogger menna said...

الامانة كلين
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش فى عجمان
شركة مكافحة الرمة فى عجمان

3:45 PM  
Blogger Mai said...

المغربي
لاند سكيب حدائق بالفجيرة
تركيب صخور وأحجار بالفجيرة
خدمات الفجيرة

12:24 PM  
Blogger deraz said...

بيت العز- الامارات
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالشارقة
شركة تنظيف ستائر بالشارقة

5:37 PM  
Blogger menna said...

شركة تعقيم وتطهير دبى
شركات تعقيم ضد كورونا في دبى

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home