Neil - Changes and Growth

Growing and Discerning...After the Heart of God

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Being content

My boy Charles Stanley said a simple but great thing this morning on the "In Touch" I listen to everyday. Thinking about the times I spend worrying about people - I love people and have a passion to know people - I started thinking about times when brothers and sister all failing. When do we point this out to them? What can we do to help? How can we tell somebody we care without sounding like a hypocrite because we are all sinners?

Stanley made it clear and it makes sense - referring to a story of Paul's journeys through his discipleship. When I am broken before God, this is one of the best places to be. Why? Because I'm learning something - even if it is hurting me. Here is the point. God often tries to teach us things through pain and suffering. If somebody is screwing up, or sinning, and it is causing them pain, maybe God is trying to teach that person something in that situation. So why get in the way of what God is doing? Sometimes people need to hurt to get God's message across. We have to accept this and not get in the way of God's work, otherwise we will just become stumbling blocks, and can often get hurt in the process. Prayer should always be the first option. But we must understand that we are NOT God, and it is not our job to fix problems - that's what he loves to do!

ANYWAYS... Love.

Ahhhh....Love.

Last night I performed a typical "Neil" ritual and worked out, showered, ate, and threw on a romantic Comedy..."Love, Actually..." (with another pretty girl, Keira Knightley[from Pirates of the Caribbean] ...she's no Rachel McAdams, but she's pretty. Although maybe a bit too skinny...)I had seen it before but am the guy who watches movies more than once. Now I am not the typical Christian, who reads and reads and READS book after book after book about Christian dating, how to tell if a person is right for you, etc. I put my faith in God and try not to discern too much. YES, I am single. hahaha. I just don't see how any of these things can really help. I believe in the heart, and God is in the heart. Therefore it helps guide me when it comes to "romantic relationships." - I don't necessarily think it is worth talking about too much...or worrying...as it is pretty simple to me - by listening to our hearts, we are listening to God. THinking too much always used to get me into trouble, and I am learning when to use my head, and when to use my heart. To take a quote from the movie "Road Trip," and my friend Paul who has said it before:

"Worrying is like a rocking chair. It takes you back and forth, but gets you nowhere."

We are supposed to be content in every situation we are in. The great passage from Phillipians 4:11-13 says:

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Paul - that crazy cat - he really knew what he was talking about. Just be content. I am single right now, making a little bit of money, and studying things I should be studying, and I am loving it and want to be doing that right now. Last year I was in college and was playing soccer and loved and wanted to be doing that. 3 years ago I was working and was NOT content with doing that, and I wasn't happy as a result of it. I may not always love what I am doing, but I will try to be content and understand that I can do everything through him who gives me strength. I know we hear this verse ALL the time, but we should look at its context and what it really means. Be content.

This picture is my favorite scene from the movie...when the writer proposes to the Portugese woman while she waits on tables...and the sister, who is overweight, is told by her father in Portugese..."Shut up, Mrs. Dunkin' Donuts 2003!" either that, or when the cute kid runs to find his girl in the airport...and afterwards gives his dad a big hug...the look on his face is priceless.

Okay, I love Top Gun, Rocky, and NFL football...just so I don't get any crap for this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.01
louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, nike air max, michael kors outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton, chanel handbags, louboutin, prada handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, ugg boots, michael kors, longchamp outlet, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, burberry outlet online, michael kors outlet, gucci outlet, louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, tiffany and co, replica watches, polo ralph lauren outlet, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany jewelry, burberry, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton

10:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

longchamp, nike air max, north face, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hogan, true religion outlet, michael kors, replica handbags, nike air max, nike blazer, louboutin pas cher, nike free run uk, converse pas cher, new balance pas cher, nike huarache, north face, nike trainers, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, lacoste pas cher, lululemon, timberland, vanessa bruno, air max, ralph lauren pas cher, michael kors, hollister, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, coach purses, burberry, oakley pas cher, michael kors, hermes, nike air max, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, nike free, mulberry, air force, tn pas cher, nike roshe run, air jordan pas cher, ralph lauren uk, sac longchamp, nike roshe, hollister pas cher, sac guess, longchamp pas cher

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home