Neil - Changes and Growth

Growing and Discerning...After the Heart of God

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Adam and Eve

Alright, I'm gonna ramble now about the Fall...those two little rascals that caused all sin! Adam and Eve...

Here's what I've always struggled with...WHY didn't God tell them and counsel them on Satan's deception?? If He did, we don't have any record of it...yet now I find myself angry at them because all tragedy can be traced back to that decision they made in the garden. But then I start to thinking about sin in my life...and what it teaches me. Donald Miller's OTHER book(Not Blue Like Jazz) is called "Searching for God Knows What"(Which I have borrowed from Mark Steffey for about a month and a half now!) dicusses this. Why didn't God just tell Adam and Eve that things such as a lie exist? Wouldn't that have been the easy thing to do? Then I went back a little bit further in Genesis...

First there was Adam right? Miller touches on this point and it struck me right in my ass -forgive the language, but that's how I felt because it sort of hit me when it was right there the whole time. So in the beginning there was Adam...it didn't go right to Eve...What probably happened is this - When God made Adam, he wanted Adam's devout attention...yet something in his human nature created a need for a companion, and God of course knew this. SO, God made Eve right then right? Wrong. First God gave Adam the job of naming all the animals...now I don't know how this was done or anything, but going by the number of animals in the world, it probably took him a LONG time, maybe even a hundred years. This was done before Eve came along...his "Flesh of his flesh." Think about it - all that time Adam was walking around feeling lonely..even though he had the open relationship with God...And after this long time, God finally gave him a companion, Eve...which was the start of the fall...all of the sudden Adam, in his lonliness, felt he wanted to be equal to God...

Maybe God was trying to teach Adam Patience by not creating Eve right away...so he would learn to appreciate what he didn't have when he got it...the same way he teaches me patience nad other things through my sin. AND, the same way we go through sadness and struggles only so we can fully appreciate and understand what joy and happiness can be given to us through Him. I don't know if this makes sense...I'm gonna end hear and write on something else now!