Neil - Changes and Growth

Growing and Discerning...After the Heart of God

Sunday, December 04, 2005

My Flesh is a weak


This morning in the youth service we were singing a song...and the words caught my attention. You know how when you are in church sometimes you sing a song that you know, but suddenly the words grab your heart and catch your attention. This is what caught me, ths song is popular, called "Light the Fire":

"I stand to praise You,
But I fall on my knees,
My spirit is willing,
But my flesh is so weak."


And there it is. It's amazing when I look back at the past few years of my life. I can recall NO or very few times in my life where I don't think my spirit has been willing. In fact, I even thing that ALL people have willing spirits. So many times in my life I have seen a willing soul of mine, wanting to do the right things, knowing what they are, fall short...My spirit, which is guided by the Holy Spirit, is always going to give me the will to behave Christ-like. The theme of John 15 is:

"The Spirit-filled life is the Christ-directed life by which Christ lives His life in and through us in the power of the Holy Spirit."

Therefore, when we sin, it is not the result of a willing spirit...

But my flesh is so weak.

Lord, please strengthen my flesh to act in the way my spirit does as a result of your grace through the gift of the Holy Spirit. Condition me to act more CHristlike, and help me learn to listen to my spirit (your spirit) and not my flesh. My flesh is fallible; Your spirit is not.

I will write more about spirtiual conditioning. Last thursday at our roundtable we discussed the difference between doing the will of God consciously and unconsciously, and the importance of tranining to do things naturally.

NOW....I must go watch the Bears play. The Steelers are playing for their seasons, and its snowing! It's beautiful. Hope everybody has a blessed day. I feel soft...I'm gonna go get some steak, spit, untuck my shirt, not comb my hair, not shave. Why? That's how I roll!